Friday, January 13, 2017

-Five Benefits of Studying the Bible Slowly-
I used to read my Bible (mostly) everyday and feel out what I thought the passage might mean (if I wanted to on that particular day). 
That method was frustrating: I was telling myself things I pretty much already knew, or else I was giving my best shot at guessing what the passage meant. I wasn't willing to put effort into it; that took effort. I wasn't willing to find out the original meanings of the words, to see what God was really saying, and forget memorization- I was no good at it!  I had been told before that reading one passage over and over and over and over was one of the best ways to get the word inside you- that sounded dreadful!! Over and over ... and over? 
However... when I actually started doing this, that is, reading the same passage daily before studying it for (what will be) months- yes, months. I also started memorizing the verses as I study them, journaling Greek definitions and after all of this recording different thoughts on the accurately interpreted texts- this has been revolutionizing-here are five reasons why:

1. My comprehension of the Word as a whole has deepened. I know this sounds contradictory; but yes, spending a lot of time in one part of the Bible does, in fact, give you greater understanding of all of God's Word. Why? Because the Bible is a cohesive whole, it's not a random compilation of letters, prophecies and history, it's a single record of all of the words of God known to man. It is one man's words, and that man is Jesus Christ.

2. Diligently searching out the original author's intent has huge payoff. God promised that those who diligently seek him will find Him. He hates slothfulness. He hates excuses. He detests those who "interpret" the word so as not to have to obey its commands, but the humble, diligent seeker will be greatly rewarded.

3. The reward is Christ Himself! Studying the word in such depth reveals the heart of God- the Holy Spirit gives sight to those who call on the Lord and pursue Him with all their hearts. 

4.  No longer a forgetful hearer. You cannot forget the word of God when you are swimming in it. It comes back to you throughout the day; the Holy Spirit will remind you of all the things He has taught you in the great moments of decision and even throughout the day for the believer's fullness of joy!

5. When you truly know the word of God, passion follows. God doesn't keep his children in a dry, passionless state. Being passionate about Jesus is possible- but it must originate with the Creator of all things good. We cannot muster up a love for God. Passion follows obedience. Left to ourselves, we will always prefer earthly pleasures. Never will we desire the Lord- that would be completely opposite our fleshly, sinful natures. We must obey in faith and then the Lord's blessing to us is an ignited fire in our hearts- He gives us the ability to return His love.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment