Tuesday, January 3, 2017

I have been studying James for about a month now; I'm going to do my very best to blog about my study at least three times a week. This is such a two-fold blessing! I get to review what I've been learning and share it with you at the same time!


Background: James, the bond-servant of the Lord Jesus Christ

James is Jesus' brother.
He has a good reputation among believers today as being a strong leader of the early church and a man of compassion and action, but this was not always so.
James was a doubter. He did not believe that his brother was the Christ. He hated his brother for claiming to be the long awaited Messiah, the God of all nations, the King of all Kings.
James was most likely present at his brother's crucifixion.
How close was he? Did the scene stir him or did he shout with the rest of his fellow Jews for his brother to be executed? Was he angered when Jesus told His beloved disciple, John, that he was to take Mary as his mother and that he would be her son? (Jhn 19:26)

We cannot know what took place inside the mind of Jesus' brother that day. In fact, there is very little information about him prior to Jesus' crucifixion. What we do know is that Jesus appeared to his brother (probably alone) after His resurrection. (1 Cor 15:7)
James saw. He saw his brother's nail-pierced-hands, speared side, and his glorified body. He saw God. The King of all Kings. His long awaited Messiah.
Was there much shame in that moment? Certainly. Joy? Unspeakable!
What is most amazing about this story to me is that James is proof of the words Jesus would later speak: "Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you." (Jhn 16:7)

James literally grew up with Jesus! He learned about life and had growth spurts and shared a dinner table with the Savior of the world. And yet, this profited him nothing. He refused the Messiah. But this story drastically shifts when he is given power from on high.
He becomes a passionate leader of the church intent on the Bride's purity and readiness for her husband, father, friend, brother...
James could now call himself the brother of Christ without any shame.
"For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” (Mat 12:50) 

No comments:

Post a Comment